The first week of August was International Breastfeeding week but the entire month of August is National Breastfeeding Week. (We Americans need more time to honor and celebrate breastfeeding!) This week, I visited with the folks at the Mother’s Milk Bank of Austin. I got to tour the whole facility and learn about how milk banking saves lives. Did you know:
- 2010 marked the 100th anniversary of milk banking in the U.S?
- Breastfeeding mothers are at a lower risk for developing breast and ovarian cancer?
- Breast milk has unparalleled immunological and anti-inflammatory properties that protect against a host of illnesses and diseases?
- Exclusive breastfeeding can help mom burn up to 500 calories per day?
- Human milk fights infection while providing nutrition, a lifesaver for pre-term and ill babies?
Click here to learn more about milk banking and how you can help!—Cheyenne